Letter to the Editor

My name would have been "Teeka".

My life began -- well, I should say I was conceived around the middle of October 2004.

As I grew from the tiny egg inside of Lucy -- she's my mother -- I was gently rocked in the warm amniotic fluid within her womb. Mother told me that the egg that was becoming me was fertilized by Kohl. He is my father.

By the way, let me tell you who and what I am. Yes, you guessed right -- I am but a tiny reindeer.

Kohl would come each day and gently rub his warm soft nose on my mother's side, reassuring Lucy and me that he would always be there for us. Lucy told me that Kohl does this each day to every female reindeer that he has impregnated. Lucy also informed me that Kohl would be present for my birth and would welcome me as I took my first breath of air.

As my little ears developed, I heard sounds that were not reindeer sounds. Lucy told me that they were the sounds of Tim and Stel. They are our caregivers; they are humans and they feed us.

Mom told me about her life as a baby reindeer and being raised by Tim and Stel.

"You see, Teeka, my mother Anastasia didn't know how to care for me. But please don't worry, honey. I do know how to care for you and I promise that I will. Tim and Stel will always be present to help out if need be. Teeka, pay attention, for I wish you to pass on this story to your offspring. Since my mother couldn't feed me, Tim and Stel explained to my mother that they would care for me, but that they had to take me into their home to do so.

"They told her that I would one day be brought back to see her and join the herd. Teeka, I am here with the entire herd, so they do speak the truth.

"I was wrapped in a towel to protect my long spindly legs and carried out of the pens and taken to the house -- that is what people live in. I was bottle-fed, which meant that Stel made milk for me and placed it in a bottle with a silicone nipple for me to nurse from. It took a little getting used to -- the silicone nipple -- but the milk was delicious and the loving attention I received was wonderful.

"I felt so special, for I lived with Stel and Tim for six weeks. Day and night I had to be fed every two hours for the first two weeks. Then, as I drank more at one time, I would be fed milk every four hours. I even slept in a bed with them. I went into town with them -- that meant riding in Stel's car or Tim's big truck. One time I went into a restaurant with them. While they ate their supper, I lay on the floor or walked around and investigated.

"We went often to the Thompson's at Annie Lake, there I was also allowed in the house. Blue, the Thompson's dog, always went into his cage when I came around. I bet he was jealous, but he never let on. Tim, Bill and I were outside one day when it started to pour rain. They said, 'Lucy, let's run to the house.' You are right, darling Teeka. I got to the porch first and had to wait for them. Millie and Stel had a nice soft warm towel to dry me."

Lucy then told me that, in order for her to live in the house with people and travel in vehicles with them, she had to wear pampers. I couldn't quite understand what they actually were, other than puffy things that were placed on her backside and crinkled when she walked. I loved each and every adventure that my mother Lucy told me about, with the exception of those puffy things she wore attached to her backside.

Then, as I lay floating inside Lucy, I could sense that something was wrong.

Lucy could not explain it to me. She said that she couldn't understand, other than we are being moved to another location. My dad Kohl constantly came to all his females and tried to tell them that Tim and Stel would also be at the new location, but our world as we knew it was turning upside down.

Things eased only for a while. Tim and Stel did come every day. They fed us and stayed with us for hours on end. I wished that I could see them. Lucy said that it would be soon, for I now was in the birthing position.

May 21st, 2005. Wow, what is going on, mom? I can't be comfortable in here. Slow down. Please, it's like a storm in here. Ouch, what did you hit? It hurts me, my shoulder.

This went on and on for a very long time, and Lucy couldn't take the time to talk. All she said was "men, strange men were chasing us."

Then it stopped. Mom lay down, but all of a sudden there was this big tidal wave squeezing me. I hollered, "Mom, it hurts!"

Mom said, "Teeka, I think you will soon be born, but it is about five days too early."

The running started again and more tidal waves. This was hard on us both.


Mom stopped and shuddered and dropped hard to the ground. She struggled to get up, telling me that she must get to Stel and Tim, that they will help. Then she lay still, and the breath went out of her as she told me that she was shot with a gun and that I, too, was going to die. As I lay dying in Lucy's dead body, all the stories came flooding back to me of all the wonderful things that mother told me that I will never experience.

I also realized that I never got to taste my first breath of fresh air, thanks to the Yukon Party Government and the Yukon Environment Department Officials. You see, they were there that day, on May 21, 2005, and needlessly performed like in a horrible movie. They massacred us all.

Tim and Stel Gregory
Whitehorse, Yukon
(867) 633-2996


Phone & Fax: (867) 633-2996

or write to

Lloyd (Tim) Gregory & Stella Hendrina Gregory
P.O. Box 20931, Stn. Main
Whitehorse, Yukon
Canada Y1A 6P2

community-return.gif arts-return.gif tourism-return.gif net-return.gif education-return.gif govt-return.gif special-return.gif